The CAC is an intermediate practice credential for people who work side-by-side with clinical staff to provide services to individuals with substance use conditions.
The CAC designates competency in the domains of Clinical Evaluation; Treatment Planning; Counseling; Case Management and Referral; Client, Family and Community Education; Documentation; and Professional Responsibilities. A CAC is not qualified for independent practice and must work under appropriate supervision.
The CAC is the reciprocal level credential for individuals transferring into Florida with the IC&RC Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) credential. As such, all CAC applicants will also, automatically, earn the IC&RC Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) credential at no extra cost.
CAC applicants must hold a high school diploma, general equivalency degree or higher. Work experience requirements vary depending on the applicant’s level of formal education.
CAC Application Documents
Applying for certification is a multi-step process that requires you to submit information and supporting documentation directly to the FCB and to request documentation from other individuals, which they will need to submit directly to the FCB on your behalf.
Please carefully review all of the credential documents before applying for certification.
- CAC On-the-Job Supervision Verification Form
- CAC Work Experience Verification Form
- CAC Professional Recommendation for Certification Form
- CAC Training Verification Form
- The FCB offers study guides available for purchase on our Products page.
- For information regarding the IC&RC ADC Exam, download and review the IC&RC Alcohol and Drug Counselor (ADC) Exam Candidate Guide.
- For additional information regarding IC&RC ADC Exam Study Materials, please review the IC&RC Exam Study Materials webpage.
How to Apply
- If you don’t already have one, create an online account. Watch the “How To” for assistance creating your account.
- Create an electronic application for certification (from your online account).
- Complete all required fields of information.
- Upload required documents.
- Pay the certification fee.
- Provide mandatory forms to eligible people to complete and submit to FCB on your behalf.
- When the application fee is paid, the FCB assigns the record to a dedicated Certification Specialist, who will serve as the single point of contact for applicants throughout the certification process.
- During the grandparenting period, the requirement for the certification exam is waived.
- The credential is awarded after all requirements have been submitted and approved.