The Certified Child Welfare Supervisor (CCWS) designation is for professionals who have demonstrated the specific knowledge and skills necessary to provide quality supervision in a manner that builds the capacity of front line staff in achieving the fundamental mission of child welfare providers: improved outcomes for children and families seeking safety, permanency, and well-being.
The CCWS designates competency in the performance domains of Leadership, Communication Skills, Performance Management, and Professional Child Welfare Foundations.
CCWS applicants must be employed by a FCB recognized child welfare employer at the time of application and award; employment is not required to maintain or renew a CCWS credential.
CCWS Credentialing Process and Policy
The CCWS credential application process has several phases, including preparation, application and testing. All requirements must be met, including passing the CCWS exam within 12-months of application.
Applicants are encouraged to submit the CCWS application AFTER completing training, observation, and case file review requirements, to allow the maximum time for application processing, exam registration, and examination activities. If the credential is not earned within 12-months of application, a continuation fee may be assessed to grant an additional 12-month application and testing period.
CCWS Application Documents
CCWS applicants are subject to the policies and procedures as described in the FCB Certified Child Welfare Supervisor (CCWS) Standards and Requirements Tables.
The FCB CCWS Application, Examination, and Credential Award Flowchart.pdf provides a summary of the credentialing process.
CCWS Application Forms capture information necessary to verify achievement of certification standards. They are editable PDFs. Forms submitted for certification purposes must be typed.
- CCWS Application Checklist
- CCWS Applicant and Point of Contact Checklists
- CCWS Observation Requirement Directions
- CCWS Observation Form – Communication Skills
- CCWS Observation Form – Leadership Skills
- CCWS Observation Form – Managing Performance
- CCWS Observation Form – Professional Child Welfare Foundations
- CCWS Case File Review and Consultation Form
How to Apply
- Access, activate, or create an online account in the FCB certification system.
- Submit an online CCWS application in the FCB certification system.
- Complete all required fields of information.
- Upload required training documentation
- Address fee payment (self-pay or employer pay).
- Download mandatory forms from the FCB website, complete Part 1, and provide the form to the qualified professionals who will conduct the rated observations and case file reviews. The qualified professional will complete the remaining parts of each form, secure the applicant’s signature in Part 6, and submit the complete forms to their employer-identified Point of Contact. Points of Contact provide complete forms to the FCB on the applicant’s behalf.
- Monitor your email for the examination approval and pre-registration email from the FCB. This will include information on how to complete the exam application and register for the exam.
NOTE: you will not be able to register for the exam until you have received the approval email from FCB.
The CCWS credential is issued when the applicants passes the exam. Applicants who fail the exam are eligible to re-test every 10-business days; directions are included in score report emails from the FCB.