The Certified Telehealth Practitioner (CTP) is a person who is licensed or certified to provide behavioral health services and has the necessary skills and abilities to deliver effective and safe services through telehealth technologies. CTPs work in a variety of settings and use one or more modes of technology to deliver services, with videoconferencing being a primary mode of care. Importantly, the CTP credential does not evaluate an individual’s competence to perform specific behavioral health services which are governed and regulated by their master license or credential.
The CTP credential designates competency in the domains of: Clinical Care in a Virtual Environment; Technology and Telepresence; and, Legal and Regulatory Issues in a Virtual Environment.
CTP applicants must hold a state license or a recognized behavioral health credential in good standing. In addition, applicants must have a minimum of two years of work experience after initial acquisition of the license or credential in order to apply.
DISCLAIMER: The CTP credential does not “authorize” practitioners to provide telehealth services. The credential is a demonstration of competency using telehealth strategies for service delivery within one’s scope of practice. Funders of behavioral health services (state, Medicaid, Medicare, insurance, etc.) may limit the types of services that fall within their payment guidelines, such as clinical services only. This credential offers no guarantee that practitioners holding the CTP credential will be able to bill for telehealth services nor does it allow provision of telehealth across state lines (which is dependent upon regulations in each state.)
CTP Application Documents
Applying for certification is a multi-step process that requires you to submit information and supporting documentation directly to the FCB and to request documentation from other individuals, which they will need to submit directly to the FCB on your behalf.
Please carefully review all of the credential documents before applying for certification.
- CTP OJT Supervision and Competency Verification Form
- CTP Training Verification Form
- CTP Supplemental Training Verification Form
How to Apply
- If you don’t already have one, create an online account. Watch the “How To” for assistance creating your account.
- Create an electronic application for certification (from your online account).
- Complete all required fields of information.
- Upload required documents.
- Pay the certification fee.
- Provide mandatory forms to eligible people to complete and submit to FCB on your behalf.
- When the application fee is paid, the FCB assigns the record to a dedicated Certification Specialist, who will serve as the single point of contact for applicants throughout the certification process.
- During the grandparenting period, the requirement for the certification exam is waived.
- The credential is awarded after all requirements have been submitted and approved.