The CRRA credential is for people who operate and administer recovery residences, which are sober, safe and wellness-oriented living environments that promote sustained recovery from substance use conditions. CRRAs are responsible for the oversight of staff, volunteers and residents according to the standards established by the Florida Association of Recovery Residences (FARR).
The CRRA designates competency in the domains of Recovery Residence Operations and Administration; Maintaining the Physical Residence; Resident Screening and Admission; Resident Recovery Support and Professional Responsibilities.
Individuals holding the CRRA have met the individual certification requirements of s. 397.4871, Florida Statutes. Further, holding a CRRA is a requirement of s. 397.487, F.S., which governs credentialing of the recovery residence itself.
CRRA applicants must hold a high-school diploma, general equivalency degree or higher.
CRRA Statutory Requirements
Sections 397.487 and 397.4871 of Florida Statutes (F.S.) govern the voluntary certification of Recovery Residences and Recovery Residence Administrators. Individuals holding the CRRA have met the individual certification requirement of s. 397.4871, F.S.
- The Florida Certification Board administers the CRRA program under s. 397.4871, F.S., which is for the people who are responsible for administering the residence.
- The Florida Association of Recovery Residences (FARR) administers the Certified Recovery Residence program under s. 397.487, F.S., which is for the physical structure and employees/volunteers of the residence. FARR certification requires that there is at least one FCB certified CRRA on staff for every three residences seeking certification. As such, a recovery residence cannot earn FARR certification without having an FCB CRRA on staff.
Section 397.4871(5), F.S. requires all CRRA applicants to pass a level 2 background screening as provided under chapter 435, F.S. The FCB will initiate the level 2 background screening when the CRRA application fee is paid and the record is assigned to a Certification Specialist.
CRRA Application Documents
Applying for certification is a multi-step process that requires you to submit information and supporting documentation directly to the FCB and to request documentation from other individuals, which they will need to submit directly to the FCB on your behalf.
Please carefully review all of the credential documents before applying for certification.
- CRRA On-the-Job Supervision Verification Form
- CRRA Work Experience Verification Form
- CRRA Professional Recommendation for Certification Form
- CRRA Training Verification Form
How to Apply
- If you don’t’ already have one, create an online account. Watch the “How To” for assistance creating your account.
- Create an electronic application for certification (from your online account).
- Complete all required fields of information.
- Upload required documents.
- Pay the certification fee.
- Your Certification Specialist will email you a Livescan Request Form. DO NOT GO TO A LIVESCAN VENDOR until FCB has provided you with this form!
- DCF will notify FCB when the review is complete and eligibility has been determined.
- If DCF approves your background screen, FCB will begin to process all other required certification documents.
- If DCF denies your background screen, the FCB will keep your file open if you are going to pursue the exemption process with DCF or we will close your file if you are not seeking an exemption or if DCF denies the exemption.
- Applicants with an approved level 2 background screening will continue the certification application process by providing mandatory forms to eligible people to complete and submit on your behalf. PLEASE DO NOT INITIATE THIS STEP UNTIL YOUR LEVEL 2 BACKGROUND CHECK HAS BEEN COMPLETE AND ELIGIBILITY HAS BEEN DETERMINED.
- When your application, including all supporting documents, has been approved, your certification specialist will initiate the exam process.
- The CRRA credential is awarded after earning a passing score on the CRRA exam.